NOTE: This is not part of the actual legal agreement in any way and is not binding in the same way that the real agreement is below. This is a shortened version with the most important points for those who would prefer not to read through the legal language of the real agreement.
By participating in our Community, you (or your parent/guardian) agree to the following summarized terms and conditions:
- You are responsible for protecting your login information and all activities under your account credentials.
- We’re not responsible for the content or privacy of third-party sites that are linked inside the Community.
- All material that you post in our Community is called Member Content. You can only post Member Content that is yours or that you’re allowed/licensed to share. Your Member Content is always yours and yours alone, but you grant us permission to share your Member Content in connection with our Community and Services. However, we will never share your Member Content beyond the Community without asking for and receiving your permission first.
- Our content such as our logos, processes, data, etc., are our property and, unless you’re given written permission from us, you agree not to use, modify, reproduce, or otherwise exploit our content. We grant you the ability to display and access our content during your membership in the Community.
- You agree that you will not use the personal information of other members except as part of the Community unless given permission to do otherwise.
- You can terminate your account at any time, and we may suspend your account if you violate any of our policies or for any other reason.
- You agree that we are not liable to you under any theory of liability of any kind.
- You agree to release us from all third-party claims and costs related to your participation in the Community.
- You agree to resolve any legal disputes via arbitration.
- We can amend our agreements or policies at any time and will notify you when we do so.
- You can’t transfer this agreement without written consent.
- You consent to receive communications from us.
Community Leaders agree to the following additional terms:
- You’re responsible for ensuring that student Members comply with our policies, as well as responding to requests to delete, review, correct, etc., student Member information or content in accordance with applicable laws and school policies.
- You must notify us if a legal parent/guardian revokes parental consent required to continue a student Member’s membership in our Community.
- You warrant that you have certain authorities in the collection and use of personal information of student Members and that you’re complying with all related applicable laws like COPPA and FERPA.
- You warrant that you are in compliance with your school district’s applicable policies and have knowledge of or have filed evidence of consents with your school administrator.
- You may not publicly share Member Content outside of the Community unless you have consent to do so from such Member(s) or their legal parent/guardian.
Living The Potential Network Inc.
Community of Practice
Terms and Conditions
Welcome to our family-based learning community. This Agreement is between Living The Potential Network Inc., an Oregon corporation with an address at 3 Monroe Parkway #323, Lake Oswego, OR 97035 (“Our”, “Us” or “We”) and You. You have been invited to participate in this community as part of a learning experience. When you participate in this community and use Our service you agree to these terms and conditions.
1. The Service. Our service allows people to participate in learning communities. To use the Service, a “Member” is invited to participate in group(s) by an educator, facilitator or other group leader (collectively referred to as “Leaders”). For purposes of this Agreement, Leaders are also Members. If you are a parent or guardian of a student under 16, you agree that your child may use the service as part of their educational activities, and receive communications from other Members and Leaders.
2. Membership Account Security. Parents and students will either receive login credentials or instructions for creating their own login credentials. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your passwords. You are responsible for all activities under your account credentials. Parents and guardians are responsible for the activities of their minor children when using Our service.
3. Responsibilities for Leaders. Leaders have additional responsibilities to their student Members, who are children. If you are a Leader, you agree to the following:
(a) You are responsible for the use of the Service by your student Members and shall ensure that each of your student Members complies with Our Acceptable Use Policy.
(b) You represent and warrant that you have: (i) the authority to consent to our collection and use of personal information from your student Members; (ii) provided privacy notices and obtained consents as required by your School’s policies and applicable law, including but not limited to the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”); and (iii) filed evidence of such consents (including verifiable parental consents) with your School administrator before using the Service; (vi) complied with your school district’s Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”).
(d) You are solely responsible for responding to requests from parents and student Members to review, delete, correct, take down, transfer or update student Member personal information or student Member User Content in accordance with applicable laws and your School’s policies. You are responsible for notifying Us if a parent or legal guardian revokes parental consent required to process personal information about a student Member.
(f) You may not publicly share Member User Content outside of the Community of Practice. If you invite guests to participate in your groups or topics, you are solely responsible for obtaining any additional consents required to permit student Member User Content and student Member personal information to be shared with those guests.
5. Expected Behavior. We expect that You will keep Your interaction with others a positive experience for everyone. You agree to follow Our Acceptable Use Policy. Your interactions with other members may be monitored by Us or a Leader.
6. Links. A group or topic may contain links to other sites, or you may receive links to other sites from Leads or other Members. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our site and to read the terms and conditions of the linked site.
7. Member Content. Our service allows you to add posts, articles, photos, videos, links, files, events, groups, and chat with Leads and other Members. All material that you upload, publish or display to others via Our service is Your “Member Content.” You may only provide Member Content to or through our service that is yours, or that you have the right to share with others. Unless you decide otherwise, any content you provide to Us or other Members remains Yours, or your licensor’s. You grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, fully paid up, transferable, sublicensable license to copy, display, transmit, perform, distribute, store, modify, and otherwise use your Member Content in connection with the service. However, we will never share your Member Content beyond the Community of Practice without reaching out and asking for permission. Upon termination of your participation in the community, we may remove your Member Content, but we are not obligated to do so. We are not obligated, but may remove or suspend, in whole or part, Member Content that violates Our Acceptable Use Policy or for any other reason.
8. Member Content Belonging to Others. You represent that the Member Content provided by You, and the license that You granted Us above, does not infringe the intellectual property and personal rights of any third party. If the rights you have granted us above, or your contribution of Member Content, violates the intellectual property rights of others, You agree to pay all royalties, fees, and any other monies owed to any person by reason of any of Your Content.
9. Our Content and Materials. All right, title, and interest in the service and content provided by Us, including but not limited to our logos, processes, text, documentation, graphics, photographs, video and audio files, and data (excluding Member Content third-party content) (collectively “Our Content and Materials”) are Our property or that of Our licensors. Except as expressly provided in these terms, you agree not to use, modify, reproduce, distribute, sell, license, reverse engineer, decompile, or otherwise exploit Our Content without our express written permission. We grant you a limited, non-exclusive license to reproduce, publish and display and access Our Content and use the service during the term of your Membership to interact with Leaders and other members and perform any tasks or lessons assigned as part of your community experience.
10. Member Contact Information. The name and contact information of Leaders and Members may be made available to you for communication as part of Our service for your personal use as part of the community. You agree that You shall not use it for any other purpose.
11. Term and Termination. You may terminate Your Membership at any time. We may suspend Your membership or use of the service if You violate the Our Acceptable Use Policy, violate the terms of this Agreement, or for any other reason.
12. Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability. WE ARE PROVIDING YOU THE SERVICE, ALONG WITH OUR CONTENT ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, ACCURACY AND COMPLETENESS, UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE SERVICE, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, AND NONINFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING OR TRADE USAGE. WE MAKE NO PROMISES WITH RESPECT TO, AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL LIABILITY FOR: (i) CONTENT POSTED BY ANY MEMBER, LEADER OR THIRD PARTY; (ii) ANY THIRD-PARTY WEBSITE, PRODUCT, OR SERVICE LISTED ON OR ACCESSIBLE TO YOU THROUGH THE SERVICE; (iii) THE QUALITY OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY, LEADER OR MEMBER YOU ENCOUNTER IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT (a) THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (b) THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, OR (c) THE RESULTS OR INFORMATION THAT YOU MAY OBTAIN FROM THE USE OF THE SERVICE WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE.
YOU AGREE THAT TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU UNDER ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YOU AGREE THAT WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, REPUTATIONAL HARM, OR LOSS OF DATA (EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR SUCH DAMAGES ARE FORESEEABLE) ARISING OUT OF IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH YOUR USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICE. YOUR SOLE REMEDY FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SERVICE IS TO CANCEL YOUR PARTICIPATION AND STOP USING THE SERVICE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, OUR MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU FOR LOSSES OR DAMAGES THAT YOU SUFFER IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR MEMBERSHIP, THE SERVICE OR THIS AGREEMENT IS LIMITED TO $50.00.
13. Indemnification. You agree to release, indemnify, and defend Us from all third-party claims and costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or related to: i) your use of the Service, ii) Your Member Content, iii) Your conduct or interactions with Leaders and other Members, or iv) Your breach of any part of this Agreement. We will promptly notify You of any such claim, and will provide You (at Your expense) with reasonable assistance in defending the claim. You will allow us to participate in the defense, and will not settle any such claim without our prior written consent. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by You. In that event, You will have no further obligation to defend Us in that matter.
14. Dispute Resolution. We hope that We can resolve any issues you may have before an actual dispute arises. However, if that does not work, then both parties agree to resolve any dispute arising out of these terms exclusively by individual, binding arbitration. The term “dispute” is to be given the broadest possible meaning that will be enforced, and will include disputes related to your use of the Service and this Agreement (including the scope of this provision), regardless of whether such disputes are based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, unfair competition, or some other legal theory. Each party agrees to try in good faith for 30 days to informally resolve any dispute before starting arbitration. A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send the other a written notice that describes the nature and basis of the dispute as well as the relief sought. If the dispute is not resolved within 30 days after the date the notice was sent, then the parties may start arbitration as described below. The American Arbitration Association (AAA) will administer the arbitration, and the arbitration will be governed by the AAA’s Commercial Arbitration Rules and Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes, as modified by these terms. The arbitration will be conducted through the submission of documents, by phone, or in person in Oregon. The arbitrator’s award will be final and specifically enforceable under applicable law, and judgment may be entered upon it in any court with jurisdiction. The arbitration costs, including arbitrator compensation, will be shared between You and Us according to the AAA’s Commercial Arbitration Rules and Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes. This section does not: (i) prevent either party from litigating any dispute in small claims court; (ii) apply to disputes arising out of or related to infringement or other misuse of our intellectual property rights; or (iii) prevent either party from bringing a dispute to the attention of any federal, state, or local government agencies.
15. General Terms.
b. Governing Law and Jurisdiction. The laws of the state of Oregon will govern this Agreement, without regard to any conflict of laws provisions. You agree that We are located and operated in the United States and will be deemed to be solely based in Oregon. For any claims for which arbitration is inapplicable, you agree that such claims will be brought in federal or state court in Oregon.
c. Use Outside of the United States. We expressly disclaim any representation or warranty that the Service complies with all applicable laws and regulations outside of the United States. If you use the Service outside of the United States, you expressly understand and agree that you are responsible for determining compliance with different laws, regulations, or customs that may apply in connection with your use of the Service.
d. Survival. The following provisions will survive expiration or termination of this Agreement: 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, and 15b.
e. Assignment. You may not assign or transfer this Agreement (or any of your rights or obligations under this Agreement) without our prior written consent; any attempted assignment or transfer without complying with the foregoing will be void. We may freely assign or transfer this Agreement. This Agreement inures to the benefit of and is binding upon the parties and their respective legal representatives, successors, and assigns.
f. Electronic Communications. You consent to receive communications from us by email in accordance with this Agreement and applicable law. You acknowledge and agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that we provide to you electronically will satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing.
h. Notices. All notices permitted or required under this Agreement must be sent in writing as follows in order to be valid: (i) if to You, by Us via email to the address associated with your account, and (ii) if to Us by You via e-mail at email@example.com. Notices will be deemed given (a) if to You, when emailed, and (b) if to Us, on receipt by Us.
i. Waiver. No waiver of any terms will be deemed a further or continuing waiver or such term or any other term. Our failure to assert a right or provision under this Agreement will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.